Friday, April 8, 2011

On the Road Again



(me and Willie)

Today I waved goodbye to Pacific Grove, Asilomar, the quilters, the beautiful grounds and the deer. I took one last spin around Pacific Grove, then through Monterey then hit the road for California points-south. I didn't travel far - just a couple of hours to Paso Robles.

Since I left Pacific Grove so early, I passed by Paso Robles and went a little further south to San Luis (please pronounce the "s") Obispo. Wow. Again with the beautiful scenery!!!! I have to admit that, for my personal eye-candy appeal, I will be hard-pressed to find anything more beautiful than California. I easily understand why people flock here. The issue, of course, is the price of housing. Yeow! The tiny (TINY!! maybe 700 sq. feet) houses in Pacific Grove go for about $800,000. But there's nothing like the natural landscape I've seen here.

Today I was driving through farms - tomatoes, asparagus, and artichokes. Here are all these (flat) farms - acres and acres and acres! - with mountains on either side. It's eerie! Flat land, then up crops a mountain. I'm still in lush mountains - their color is unbelievable! Like a well-groomed golf course, only natural. Everything looks almost manicured, yet it's just .... there. Sooo beautiful!!!

I also went through lots of vineyards, and am in the midst of vineyard country here. Lots of places to stop and taste wine, but .... I'm the designated driver! :-) Instead I stopped at a charming little cheese shop in Paso Robles and got dinner - some brie, some salami, and a hunk of bread. (There was a bakery attached but I resisted.)

I stopped at "Yarns...at the Adobe" in San Luis Obispo. WONDERFUL stuff! There goes more on the credit card! I got some yarn that is local (to SLO) - beautiful stuff! It doesn't have a purpose yet - but it's in my car, ready for it's road trip to F.L.A. I also stopped at Birch - a quilt shop in Paso Robles. Only 2 pieces HAD to come home with me. I think I might be done shopping now. (Just kidding)

I'm sort of laying back here in California for an extra day. Turns out I can miss the snow and take Route 66 home if I just lag back a day; I can do that! I'm looking forward to those kicks!!

So, I'm back on the road, headed back to where the sun rises over the ocean - and where it's probably 30 - 40 degrees warmer. I'm taking my time and will fill you in each day at the end of my travels. I'm really going to miss Pacific Grove.




Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback, and hearing from you about life in general. Leave a comment when you can. Thanks so much for taking your time to read my blog.