Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Parts is Parts

In the spring of 2010, just a few months after I retired, I took my first driving trip across the country. The purpose was to attend 3 weeks of classes at Empty Spools Seminars at the very beautiful Asilomar State Beach (in Pacific Grove, California). One of those classes was with Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston. If you ever get the chance to learn with either or both of these ladies, do whatever you must to do so; they're wonderful! (Also treat yourself to a class at Empty Spools: the location alone is worth it!)

Freddy and Gwen encouraged us to start our own Parts Department, where we make small pieces when the mood strikes us and keep them corralled until they're needed in a quilt. No specific quilt has to be in your mind: just the urge to sew and no idea what you're in the mood to work on. Make Parts. Yesterday was one of those days.

I unburied my Parts Department project bin, got out the Parts parts (hey, even Parts need parts!) and played.
The Parts Department discoveries. Yummy.

First I took a bunch of the strips (1 1/2") and made strip sets

Then I whacked these babies up into more 1 1/2" strips

Then sewed them all back together again into 16-patches
Aren't they cute? 18 of them (4", finished)

OK, those parts have now become Parts and are ready whenever inspiration hits. On to star parts.

I had already sewn on the wonky points, so I had all the star points made; just needed to put all the stars together.

OK, so ALL the stars didn't get put together. I was getting tired. These stars measure 4 1/2" (finished). Into the Parts to join their brethren (and sis-tren). Maybe I'll sew the rest of the star-parts today, or maybe not. That's what the Parts Department is all about!

Happy New Year to you and yours. I hope it's a great year! No goals or resolutions for me this year - I plan simply to enjoy each day to the fullest.

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback, and hearing from you about life in general. Leave a comment when you can. Thanks so much for taking your time to read my blog.